The Faridpur foundation supports the medical work (the Plastic Surgery Camps) of plastic surgeon Cees Spronk and his team in the city of Mangu. They operate upon children and adults with severe burns and split lips. Interplast Holland finances and organises the Plastic Surgery Camps, which take place twice a year. Once a year Dr. Arend van de Venis goes to Mangu to operate upon children with deformities to their legs. All this work is done for the poor in this region.
From 1950 until her retirement in 1973 dr. Priestman, a British leprosy doctor was in charge of a leprosy centre in Mangu in Middle Nigeria. For many people treatment in those days was for the rest of their life, as the development of new medicines was still in its infancy. In 1974 dr. Cees Spronk, then a leprosy doctor took the lead, supported by the Dutch Leprosy foundation.Read more ›
In 1950 the Sudan United Mission, an English protestant missionary organisation, founded the Mongu Leprosy Settlement on the Central Plateau in Nigeria,consisting of a fewhospital and outpatients buildings amidst three villages, where contagious patients were treated in isolation until they … Continue readingRead more ›
In Nigeria much of the cooking is done on open fire. As a consequence many people suffer from burn injuries. Due to living a long distance from medical centres, lacking knowledge of how to treat burn wounds and not being able to afford medical treatment, patients suffer from severe scarring caused by burn wounds. Much of the mutilation could be prevented through education programmes and first aid treatment. This is why the Faridpur Foundation founded a Burn Centre.Read more ›
The Plastic Surgery Camps in Nigeria always take place in the COCIN hospital in Mangu.
The organisation of the hospital is good, but there are no means for the necessary and most urgent improvements.
In 2005 Cees Spronk and a medical team visited Mangu to perform operations. From 2006 Cees Spronk and a medical team have gone there twice a year to do so.Read more ›
The Sabon Layi School was founded in 1954 to provide education at the leprosy centre in Mangu (founded in 1950). People who suffered from leprosy were excluded from society and treated and cared for in separate colonies. Mr. Joel Gowon, a former patient, founded the school for the children suffering from leprosy. A few years later he was joined by Mr. Filibbus, who himself was receiving treatment in Mangu.Read more ›